Musings of an Indian teen

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Conqueror or murderer was I?

The guns had stopped booming,
But in its place I heard dying groans.
The smell of blood and tissue
Nearly smothered me till I lost all control.

I heard my voice give a victory hoop,
But my heart only moaned,
Beside me lay dead my commanders,
Before me strangers I had never Known.

They said we had won the war,
But I only saw the corpses at my feet.
They said we had attained victory
But I could hear only the pain and agony.

My head told me I had defeated my enemy,
My heart told me I had murdered a part of humanity.
I saw my county's flag fly high
As I stood on the brink of uncertainty
Conqueror or murderer was I?

Oh blindly had I followed!
never had I questioned,
Your country shall be victorious they said;
Blindly had I trained all day
My folly I never realised,until now,
When it's to late.

"what have I done?" I asked myself,
My heart answered me true;
Much did I protest but how long
Can I deny the truth?
What could I do but kneel and pray?
And I prayed long and hard,
But "You have committed the greatest crime against humanity"
Whispered the conscience in my heart.

1 Comments:

  • nice poem..
    it potrays the emotional trauma of a soldier very vividly and makes you think..
    it shows why the job of a soldier is one of the most difficult..

    By Blogger abhimir, at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home